- Jirayr Sefilian
- Ara Papian
- Varuzhan Avetisyan
- Vahe Gasparyan
- Garegin Chugaszyan
- Albert Baghdasaryan
- Hayk Martirosyan
- Arthur Aivazian
- Armenak Kyureghyan
- Yeghishe Petrosyan
National Democratic Alliance (NDA)
Biographies of Council Members
Jirayr Sefilian was born in 1967 in Beirut, Lebanon, where he attended “Gevorg Chatalbashyan” Armenian college.
- 1983-90, participated in the Lebanese Civil War as part of self-defense units of the Armenian districts of Beirut; an active member of the Armenian Revolutionary Federation (ARF-Dashnaktsutyun).
- 1990, moved to Armenia to join the Nagorno-Karabakh movement and was active in the formation of ARF self-defense units across Armenia as a military instructor with unique battlefield experience, prepared those units for military actions.
- 1991, appointed commander of a detachment; 1992 commander of a company; and subsequently commander of a Special “Shushi” battalion, which gained prominence as one of the most successful military units during the Karabakh War and was famed for conducting several very difficult military operations with minimal casualties.
- 1995-1996, after the Artsakh liberation war, Sefilian was forced to leave Armenia moving to Beirut, because of internal political situation in Armenia.
- 1997 Sefilian returned to Armenia and appointed Deputy Commander of the Martakert Division of the Artsakh Defense Army.
- From 1997-98, he served as the Brigade Commander (of the 6th defense district) of the Artsakh Defense Army.
Sefilian was awarded the Combat Cross (First-Degree) and held the rank of lieutenant-colonel.
In 1998, citing corruption in the army and policy disagreements with the leadership, Sefilian resigned from the military.
Afterwards, due to political disagreements with the leadership of the ARF, Jirayr Sefilian left the party.
A staunch critic of policies pursued by the authorities, in 2001, he founded the "Protection of Liberated Territories" NGO and launched a project for the resettlement of the wider Artsakh (including the seven liberated districts).
As a former commander and a harsh critic of the Russian-supported corrupt successive regimes of Armenia, Sefilian has been repeatedly arrested on politically motivated charges.
In 2008, after his release from prison, he founded “Miatsum” (“Unification”) national initiative, which was promoting the idea of re-unification of Artsakh with the Republic of Armenia proper (instead of independence for Artsakh, a policy line erroneously pursued by the successive Russian puppet administrations in Armenia). Other notable engagements include:
- 2009, co-founder and managing member of “Sardarapat” movement.
- 2012-2014, managing member of the “Pre-Parliament” political initiative.
- 2015-2018, a managing member of the “Founding Parliament” political initiative.
- 2014-2015 Jirayr Sefilian led “The 100th anniversary without regime” movement, which functioned under the guidance of the “Pre-Parliament” and lately the “Founding Parliament” and declared, as its core mission, the legal removal of the illegitimate regime in power. For that he was imprisoned for almost a month.
- 2015-2016, a leading member of the "New Armenia Public Salvation Front" political initiative, led the "United Opposition Headquarters" created by the same initiative.
In 2016, in the aftermath of the “4-Day War” in Artsakh, in a major embarrassment for the ruling regime, Sefilian publicly revealed that the Armenian territorial losses in Artsakh amounted to around 800 hectares (and not a “few hundred meters” as claimed by the regime). Sefilian also announced that if the army does not want to regain control over the lost territories he can call on volunteer from the people to join him and liberate the lost land.
2016 July 20, , in response to his statement he was arrested and imprisoned for over 2 years.
In summer of 2018, after being released from the prison, Sefilyan, on September 29 along with his supporters and followers, not being an Armenian citizen, participated in the foundation of the “Sasna Tsrer” All Armenian political party and eponymous movement and since that he has acted as the honorary representative of the "Sasna Tsrer" All Armenian party, and became a leading member of the "Sasna Tsrer" All Armenian movement both in Armenia and in Diaspora.
A 2018 Washington Post Opinion Editorial (by David Ignatius) said: “Sefilian would be a candidate for defense minister if Pashinyan succeeds in forming a new government, though his strong pro-Western sympathies might antagonize Moscow.”
Despite meeting all the criteria for Armenian nationality, Sefilian, for the longest time was being denied the Armenian citizenship, which he eventually gained only after parliamentary elections on December 9, 2018.
2020 May 15, Jirayr Sefilian became a founding group member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement, becoming a Council Member in 2021 after organizational restructuring of the mentioned movement.
In 2021 Jirayr Sefilian with his supporters co-founded the “National-Democratic Alliance” All Armenian party.
Jirayr Sefilian is married, with two sons.
Ambassador Ara Papian was born in Yerevan, Armenia in 1961.
- 1984, graduated from the Department of Oriental (Middle Eastern) Studies of Yerevan State University with an undergraduate degree.
- 1989, received a postgraduate degree in Armenian History from the Yerevan State University.
- 1994, graduated from the Moscow Diplomatic Academy, Russia.
- 1998, graduated from the NATO Defense College, Rome, Italy.
- 1999, attended a special course in Public Diplomacy in Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 1981-1982 and 1984-1986, active-duty military interpreter/translator (Farsi) in Afghanistan.
- 1987-1991, Professor of Armenian language and literature at Melkonian Educational Institute in Nicosia, Cyprus, the most prominent Armenian private educational establishment in the Diaspora.
- 1991-1992 Second Secretary of the US and Canada Division of the American Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 1992-1993, Second Secretary of the Armenian Embassy in Tehran. A founding team member of the Embassy.
- 1995-1996, Second Secretary of the Armenian Embassy in Bucharest, Romania.
- 1997, Charge d'Affaires of the Armenian Embassy in Bucharest, Romania.
- 1997-99, Head of Iran Division of the Middle East Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 1999, Head of Security Cooperation Division of the Security Issues and Arms Control Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Armenia.
- 1999-2000, Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Head of Public Affairs Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- 2000-2006 Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Armenia to Canada.
Research and Political Activism
Following his departure from the Foreign Service, in March 2006, Amb. Papian founded Modus Vivendi think tank, one of the objectives of which was to conduct research on the U.S. President Woodrow Wilson’s Arbitral Award and its implications for Armenia’s foreign policy.
He has pushed for Armenia’s de-colonization and real independence from Russia and a shift towards the West and is one of the leading advocated of the need for Armenia to become a Major non-NATO Ally of the United States.
Ambassador Papian is well-known across Armenia and the Diaspora and maintains an active public profile, with thousands of media appearances/interviews over the years. He is widely considered as one of the top experts in Armenia on International Law and all Treaties concerning Armenia and the region.
2020 May 15, Ara Papian became a founding group member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement, becoming a Council Member in 2021 after organizational restructuring of the mentioned movement.
Amb. Papian is a dual Canadian-Armenian national with residences in Yerevan and Ottawa. He is married and has two sons.
Varuzhan Avetisyan was born in 1970 in Martuni city, Gegharkunik Region, Armenia.
1992 Law Degree from Yerevan State University, Department of Law.
- 1994, Assistant-Attorney of the Commander of the Regiment in Ministry of Defense of Armenia.
- 1994- 1995 and 1997-98, Investigator at the Military Prosecutor's Office.
- 1999, Senior Officer of the Department of Labor at the Staff of in Ministry of Defense of Armenia.
- 1999-2001, Senior Officer, Head of Division at the Department of Foreign Relations and Military Cooperation of Ministry of Defense of Armenia.
- 2001-2002, Lecturer at the special training courses of the army officers of Ministry of Defense.
- 2002-2004, joined a private legal practice.
- 2004-2008, Deputy Head of the Desk of the Defense Policy Department of the Ministry of Defense of Armenia.
- 2008-2013, Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Drastamat Kanayan Institute for the National Strategic Studies of the Ministry of Defense of Armenia.
- 2011-2012, Member of the “Sardarapat” political movement.
- 2012-2014, a member of “Pre-Parliament” political initiative.
- 2015-2018, Deputy chairman of the “Founding Parliament” political initiative.
- July 2016 (and while in jail through August 2018), member and the spokesperson for the "Sasna Tsrer" rebellion. For more on this, visit here, here, and here. Delivered the famous anti-Kremlin speech as the “Sasna Tsrer” group laid down their arms.
- 2018 in summer, released from prison under public pressure and due to regime change in Armenia still remaining under the criminal prosecution.
- 2018 September 29, with his comrades founded “Sasna Tsrer” All Armenian Party and eponymous movement.
- Since 2018 Coordinator of the “Sasna Tsrer” All Armenian Party Secretariat. Leading member of the “Sasna Tsrer” All Armenian movement.
- 2020 May 15, Varuzhan Avetisyan became a founding group member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement, becoming a Council Member in 2021 after organizational restructuring of the mentioned movement.
Varuzhan Avetisyan is a reserve colonel.
Mr. Avetisyan is married and has two children.
Dr. Vahe Gasparyan was born in Yerevan, Armenia in 1971.
1993, degree of Doctor of Medicine from Yerevan State Medical University (with honors).
1995, Residency in Cardiovascular Surgery at Mikaelyan Hospital-Institute of Surgery.
- 1995, March-April special training in cardiac surgery, Westchester Medical Center, New York, USA.
- 1998, training in cardiac surgery in Broussais, Lariboisiere and Saint Denis Medical Centers, Paris, France.
- 1996-1998, compulsory military service, medical service senior lieutenant, Yerevan Garrison Hospital.
- 1999-2001, Medical Doctor, Vascular Surgery Department, Mikaelyan Surgery Institute.
- 2002-2003, Clinical Fellowship at the Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery of the National University Hospital of Singapore.
- 2003-2005, Chief of Cardiac Surgery Department in Erebuni Medical Center, a major hospital in Yerevan, Armenia.
- 2006-2009, Head of Cardiac Surgery Department, Zeytun Cardiovascular Medical Center, Yerevan.
- 2010 - July 2020, Head of Cardiovascular Surgery Department, Erebuni Medical Center, Yerevan, Armenia.
- During the “44-day war” in Artsakh (September-November 2020), Military Doctor and active-duty Medical Service Senior Lieutenant Surgeon (Surgery Department of the Zangezur Military Garrison Hospital), where he saved dozens of lives of young men in uniform as a result of emergency surgeries of the battlefield casualties.
Dr. Gasparian invented and patented an original method of total autologous reconstruction of the aortic valve (2000) for which was awarded the Assistant Professor Degree.
In 2002, he invented an original method of total autologous reconstruction of the mitral valve, patented in Singapore in 2003.
Dr. Gasparyan has authored 21 academic articles and an academic book (on medical science).
- 2018, a member of “Sasna Tsrer” All Armenian political movement.
- 2020, a member of the “National-Democratic Alliance” movement.
- 2021, Council Member of the "National-Democratic Alliance" movement
- 2021, co-founder and Council Member of the “National-Democratic Alliance” All Armenian party.
- 2021 June, the Prime Ministerial candidate for “National-Democratic Alliance” All Armenian party in Armenia’s General Elections.
Dr. Gasparyan is married and has three daughters
Garegin Chugaszyan was born in 1961.
- 1982, undergraduate degree in Applied Mathematics, Yerevan State University.
- 1987, Master’s degree in Computational and Applied Mathematics from the Computing Center of National Academy of Sciences.
- 1982-1991, researcher at the Computing Center of National Academy of Sciences of Armenia.
- 1991-1992 Member of Staff at the President's Office of Armenia.
- 1991-1995, Vice President at Aragast B Corp.
- 1997, Director (De-facto Minister) at the Department of Information and Publishing (Ministry of Information), Government of Armenia.
- 1999-2001, Chairman of the Board, Open Society Assistance Foundation Armenia.
- 2003-2007, Member Grand Jury at the World Summit Award.
- 2005-2007, IT Cluster Coordinator at the USAID CAPS.
- 2004-2011, Member of Armenia’s Presidential IT Development Support Council.
- 2007-2014, Member of the Bureau, Steering Committee on the Media, and Information Society (CDMSI) of Council of Europe.
- 2007-2014, High-level Panel Adviser of the UN Global Alliance for Information and Communication Technologies and Development (GAID).
- Since 1998, Executive Director of Information Technologies Foundation.
- Since 1998, President of ITE.
Mr. Chugaszyan started his political activities during Gorbachev’s Perestroika taking part in Artsakh Movement alongside his colleagues from the Academy of Sciences of Armenia. With the restoration of Armenia's independence, he returned to his activities in IT sphere and relaunched his political activities after Putin's Munich speech in 2007.
- 2010-2012, joined the “Sardarapat” movement.
- 2012-2014, elected as the chairman of Armenian “Pre-Parliament” initiative.
- 2014-2018, chairman of “Founding Parliament” national-political initiative.
- 2015 -2018 was politically persecuted, arrested twice and was forced to go into hiding from President Sargsyan’s regime’s persecutions.
- After the 2018 regime change known as “velvet revolution”, on September 29, with his comrades founded “Sasna Tsrer” All Armenian Party and eponymous movement.
- Since 2018 member of the “Sasna Tsrer” All Armenian Party Secretariat and leading member of the “Sasna Tsrer” All Armenian movement.
- 2020 May 15, Garegin Chugaszyan became a founding group member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement, becoming a Council Member in 2021 after organizational restructuring of the mentioned movement.
Mr. Chugaszyan is married and has two children.
Albert Baghdasaryan was born in 1961.
1981 B.A. in Applied Mathematics, Department of Cybernetics, Yerevan State University.
- 1981-1990, Senior programmer at the Yerevan Computing Machines Research Institute (Mergelyan Institute).
- 1989-1991, Chairman of the Staff Council, the highest governing body of the Institute.
- 1988, Member of “Karabakh Committee”, the council of public leaders which became the driving body of the pan-Armenian national movement for the liberation of Nagorno Karabakh and struggle against the Soviet rule in Armenia.
- 1989-92, took part in the first Artsakh war as the organizer of the defense of Shurnukh village as a member of "Mergelyan" Science Institute’s volunteers’ detachment.
- 1992, participated in the liberation operation of the city of Shushi.
- 1992, commandant extraordinary, representative of the President of Armenia for the Meghri-Kapan special region
- 1991-1995, Member of the Supreme Council of the Republic of Armenia; member of the Standing Committee on Finance and Budget; chairman of the National Progress parliamentary faction.
- 1991, led the first foreign state delegation of the Republic of Armenia to France.
- 1993-1994, Armenia’s Representative in the process of establishment of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Maritime Economic Cooperation.
- 2017, Member of the "For the State Front of Armenia" political movement.
- 2020 May 15, Albert Baghdasaryan became a founding group member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement, becoming a Council Member in 2021 after organizational restructuring of the mentioned movement.
Mr. Albert Baghdasaryan is married, with a daughter.
Hayk Martirosyan was born in Yerevan, Armenia in 1979.
- 1999 B.A. History, Yerevan State University.
- 2001 MA History, Yerevan State University.
- 2001 Graduate degree in History and Philology (Summa Cum Laude equivalent) from the EPHE à la Sorbonne, Paris, France.
- 2012 Doctorate Degree of the French Republic (Summa Cum Laude equivalent) from the Law School of Université Paris 2 Panthéon Assas (Sorbonne) majoring in Political Science.
- 2004 a fellow of John Smith foundation (United Kingdom).
- 2006-08, Spokesperson of the Armenian Judiciary and later the adviser to the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Armenia (Court of Cassation).
- 2016, Chief Aide to the Prime Minister of Armenia, a position he resigned from after the “4-day war” in April 2016 in protest.
Dr. Martirosyan has been active in Armenia’s political life since early-2016. He has been at the frontline of the so-called “velvet revolution” in 2018, supporting the Prime Minister Pashinyan and has become one of the most visible public figures in Armenia.
However, he turned into the harshest critic of Pashinyan’s rule, citing his disagreement with the policies of Pashinyan government’s complicity with Moscow’s rule in Armenia and the failure to deliver on promises made to the people of Armenia.
Dr. Martirosyan is actively advocating for the liberation of Armenia from under the Russian control and for a strong alliance with the West, notably with the United States.
With an ever-growing following, and a strong, distinctive public voice, more than a thousand interviews, including the international ones, such as Le Monde, Radio France International.
2021, Mr. Martirosyan was elected as a Council Member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement.
Dr. Martirosyan is a dual U.S.-Armenian national.
Arthur Aivazian was born in 1968, in Yerevan.
- 1992 B.A. in Arabic Language and Literature, Yerevan State University.
- 1993 Diploma in Diplomacy, International Relations, and International Law from the Diplomatic Academy, Cairo, Egypt.
- 2004 Diploma in Law and Economy from the Yerevan Branch of the Institute of External Economic Relations, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- 1992, Head of Department, “KHAZER” Cultural Foundation.
- 1993-1996, Head of Division at Population Service Special Department, Yerevan City Hall.
- 1996-1999, Private Business Management.
- 1999-2001 Aide to the President “Urmanov Marina” Co. Ltd.
- 2001-2003, Trainer at the “International Foundation for Election Systems (IFES), Branch in Armenia” (USAID Citizens’ Awareness and Participation in Armenia Project).
- 2003-2004, Project Coordinator of the “Citizen and the Right” NGO (and Grant Project sponsored by World Learning / USAID within NGO Strengthening Program).
- 2004-2006, Director of “Ayvazyan and Partners Law Office” LLC.
2021, Mr. Aivazian was elected as a Council Member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement.
Mr. Aivazian is married and has two children.
Armenak Kyureghyan was born in 1960, in Yerevan.
1983 B.A. in Systems Engineering, Department of Comp. Engineering, Yerevan Polytechnic Institute.
- 1983-1991, Engineer at the Yerevan Computing Machines Research Institute (Mergelyan Institute).
- 1996, Deputy Head of Aviation Security at Zvartnots International Airport of Armenia.
- 1997-2001, Special engineer at "ArmenTel" telecom company.
- 2001-2002, Engineer at US-based “APL Labs AM” in Armenia.
- 2002-2004, Engineer at Branch of US-based "Leda Systems" JSC in Armenia.
- 2004-2008, IT director of “Aporia” Co.
- 2008-2011 of "GIS Information System" Co.
- 2012-2014, General manager, “Crown Security” Co.
- 2014-2017, Head of Electrical Panel Design Department, Technology & Science Dynamics (USA) in Armenia.
- 1988 Member of Mergelyan Volunteer Group.
- 2016, a member of the Coordinating Council of a civil movement in support the “Sasna Tsrer” rebel group.
- 2017, a member of the "For the State Front of Armenia" political movement.
- 2020 May 15, Mr. Kyureghyan became a founding group member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement, becoming a Council Member in 2021 after organizational restructuring of the mentioned movement.
Armenak. Kyureghyan has authored multiple scientific articles, co-authored inventions in the field of microprogramming, hardware diagnostics, and multiprocessor systems.
Mr. Kyureghyan is married and has three sons.
Yegishe Petrosyan was born in Yerevan, Armenia in 1955.
1972-1981 Yerevan Polytechnic Institute.
1984-1986 Faculty of Composition of the Moscow University of Arts, Moscow, Russia.
- 1969, co-founded the rock band "Ardzagank", which would be on top of musical charts of Armenia for many years producing several superhits.
- 1990, founded the "Ardzagank" recording studio, which produced some of the greatest artists and hits in Armenia in the early 90’s.
- 1992, along with composer Artavazd Bayatyan, founded the "Ardzagank" production center.
- 1996, launched "Ardzagank FM103.5" radio station, which in 2003 received the "Best Entertainment Radio Station of the Year" award.
- 1999-2004, author of the annual "Echo Show" and of "Premiere" TV program.
With his band, Petrosyan has toured throughout Armenia, the former Soviet Union, Europe, and the US and played in numerous international music festivals.
An intellectual member of Armenian show-business industry, never shy of expressing his political and social views, Mr. Petrosyan has always been active in social and political arena.
2017, Member of the "For the State Front of Armenia" political movement.
2020 May 15, Albert Baghdasaryan became a founding group member of the National-Democratic Alliance political movement, becoming a Council Member in 2021 after organizational restructuring of the mentioned movement.
Yeghishe Petrosyan is married, with two children.